10 Driving Principles
We came to understand these principles over 20 years of working in change-management, equity, and communications. They are not final, true principles rarely are. But they are what drives us today.
- Hours worked has little relationship to overall product quality.
- Truly successful business people are successful people first, and their success at business is predicated on that fact.
- In order to run an anti-racist business, we ourselves must perpetuate an ongoing practice of addressing our own internalized white supremacy.
- Consent is not sexy, it’s mandatory. This is true in every avenue of life, especially in business.
- We say no to what we don’t want so we can say yes to what we do want.
- Urgency is white supremacy.
- We heal in relation to one another, therefore healthy, mutually beneficial relationships are the primary driver of all we do.
- Clear is kind: Communication is a skill we continuously learn and teach.
- Empathy is everything.
- The opposite of an oppressive system is not a lack of systems. Without explicit structure, most systems will revert to the default, which is white supremacy.